Saturday 19 January 2019

Formal email self introduction


To: Mr. Blackstone
From: Nurul Afifah
Subject: My self introduction and expectations for BHB2803

Dear Mr. Blackstone,

I am writing you this email with the intent of introducing myself. My name is Nurul Afifah but you may call me Fifa. This trimester, I will be taking BHB2803 – Career Professional Development 2 to fulfil the requirements for the upcoming Integrated Work Study Programme. Currently, I am a year two student in the hospitality business programme offered by the Singapore Institute of Technology.

Prior to enrolling in this course, I graduated from Republic Polytechnic with a diploma in restaurant and culinary operations in 2015. Shortly after, I began working at Zingrill Holdings under a yearlong contract in conjunction with SPRING Singapore. I took another gap year to think about my future while working full-time at Starbucks as a barista. During this time, I got my motorcycle license and bought a motorcycle.

Over the years, I realised that my biggest weakness in communication is lack of confidence. Personally, I think it stems from differences in perception. My childhood was rather sheltered and I feel as though I lack life experience compared to others. As a result, I tend to doubt myself, overthink, and stumble over my words.

On the other hand, one of my strengths in communication is my ability to encourage people to engage in open and honest communication. This can be done through practicing active listening, keeping a friendly tone, and maintaining eye contact. My curiosity enables me to take an interest in the person and the message that they are trying to convey.

By the end of this course, I hope that I will be able to overcome my weaknesses in communication and become a stronger communicator. On top of that, I wish that I can strengthen my strengths as well. I am looking forward to the upcoming weeks of class with much anticipation.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Nurul Afifah

Edited as of 13th February 2019

Commented on:
Zakiyah
Shu Ling
Carolyn
Swathi
Tricia

7 comments:

  1. Hi Afifah,

    As I read your post, I realised both of us have issues with our confidence. I hope we are able to overcome it together by the end of this module. It feels good knowing that I am not alone in this. Do take a look at my self introduction post over at my blog during your free time. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Afifah, I'm quite surprise that you say that your weakness is your lack of confidence because of how confident you come across during class and I admire how unafraid you are to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Afifah. I think it is really cool that you have a motorcycle which is something I would never dare to ride. I also feel that it is really commendable that you encourage others to speak up. Having worked with you previously for CPD 1 and Business Law Modules, I think you communicate well in a team setting. I hope that you reach your goals for this module :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Afifah,
    I am impressed that you are able to ride a motorcycle! It looks thrilling but I am too timid to learn. Do ride safe! Thanks for sharing some of the tips in active learning, I will definitely try it! Lets work hard together to improve our communication skills and I look forward to seeing you in class :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Afifah,

    Thank you for sharing in this introduction letter. I enjoyed learning about your study and work background, though I feel like you only scratch the surface. I'd be curious to know what opinion you have of your previous and current jobs and why you want to have a career in hospitality business.

    I appreciate you sharing with us even that you got a motorcycle license, but again I'd like to read some detail on that. Do you ride now? Do you coe to uni on a bike? Do you own a bike?

    It's interesting that you mention that you encouraging others to communicate openly and honestly is one of your strengths. I tend to agree with that statement though I've only seen you in action in three classes so far. I like the way that you always seem to be attentive when others speak and that your eyes are engaged with the person speaking. That is encouraging indeed! In terms of language fluency, this letter is superb. So that could also be considered one of your communication strengths.

    For a weakness, you mention that you don't really have confidence, a 'confesison' which I note has surprised not just me but also Christine. Whatever the case, your active presence in class is noted, and I'd suggest that you continue doing what you seem to do well: engaging us with your curiosity, your spoken ideas and 'friendly' nonverbal affirmations.

    In terms of writing, I'd suggest that you simply include more concrete details in what you share. I look forward to learning more about you, and from you, this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr Blackstone,

    Thank you for your affirmations and suggestions. I feel more empowered to attempt everything that lies ahead. I have also included a few paragraphs below with further details of my blog post content as requested.
    With regards to my previous work experiences and why I would like to have a career in hospitality business, I realised that I have always enjoyed making drinks, being surrounded by food, and constantly meeting new people. If it was not against my religion to handle alcoholic drinks, I would have probably picked up bartending. Given the fact that my previous work experience revolved around the food and beverage industry, I had the chance to try new food offerings whenever possible. Lastly, meeting new people every single day allowed me to engage in various interesting conversations.
    I bought my motorcycle second-hand from Carousell, fully paid for with no need for COI. In fact, I recently just extended the Certificate Of Entitlement (COE) for another 5 years at $1700. I have a love-hate relationship with my motorcycle. It can be fun to ride especially when the roads are clear. However, it can also be a hassle when it rains or when I am unable to navigate successfully, which usually results in frustration.
    Once again, thank you for your kind words. The BHB2803 – CPD2 class is always a fun learning experience because of the people in it. See you in class.

    Cheers,
    Afifah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Afifah,

    Thanks for providing more details on your interest in HB and on your motorcycle driving. I can understand your love-hate for your bike. I too love cycling, and the thrill of riding in open air. But over the years I've had a few near misses, and a few friends who weren't so lucky, so I'm a car-bound person now, unless I'm riding in some deserted place like southern Laos. Or maybe I've just become a 'less adventurous' in my old age!

    Take care,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete