Wednesday 3 April 2019

Critical Reflection on ‘Skills on Wheels’

Instead of completing two modules in the mobile application Skills on Wheels, I actually attempted all the modules. I personally loved the iSimulation videos which allowed viewers to make decisions, thus, affecting the next part of the video. I was more engaged in watching the video and I believe that this led to me gaining more knowledge. Out of all the modules, I really enjoyed the “Manage Conflict”, “Exchange Feedback”, and “Build Relationships” modules the most. This is probably because I feel as though I am currently lacking in these areas.

The “Manage Conflict” module is module which I believe is very important as I will be required to work in teams or groups for most of my projects and in the future when I join the workforce. Conflict is bound to happen especially if the group is not homogeneous. I achieved a score of 67% for the “Conflict Management Process” subtask, 50% for the “Active Listening & Questioning Techniques” subtask, and 100% for the “Emotion Management” subtask. I intentionally answered the quiz questions with the actions which I would have normally opted for as I wanted to see how I could better improve myself.

The next module which I really like is the “Exchange Feedback” module. I have a hard time receiving feedback as I tend to take it to heart. I achieved a score of 67% for the “Receiving Feedback” subtask and 50% for the “Giving Feedback” subtask. It definitely shows how well I really perform in this area; which is not that well in my opinion. Despite the low scores, I love the way the learning materials were done up; I feel that it is very visually appealing. On top of that, there were acronyms which made it easier for me to remember, especially G.I.F.T.. It is an approach that is recommended for someone who is attempting to receive feedback. I believe that the most important thing about receiving feedback is by keeping an open mind which is easier said than done.

The third module, “Build Relationships” is another module which I attempted. I achieved a score of 100% for the “Personal Level Interaction Approach: S.E.E.D” subtask and 100% for the “Task Level Interaction Approach: L.E.A.R.N”. Even though I felt that I had a lot of room for improvement in this area, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well I did. I did learn a few things from this module despite attaining full marks for the quiz. One of the tips that I learned was that one should state the main goal of what and why a party is having a conversation. I feel that this would steer the conversation in the right direction instead of randomly jumping into a topic and hoping that everyone would stay on topic.

Overall, I love the Skills on Wheels mobile application. However, I believe that the “Module Assessment” subtask seemed rather redundant as all I had to do was just scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the “Mark as done” button. Nevertheless, I think that the students who are currently undergoing the CPD 2 module should definitely check out this application.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much, Afifah, for the extraordinary effort you made with SoW. First, you actally took the time and made the effort with all the modules. In addition, this is a very detailed review of three of the SoW modules wih some info on the SoW website itself. I'm happy to hear that , despite the asessment issues, you feel like doing the nuggets was a worthwhile learning experience.

    You've made a stellar effort for this post and all term, which I'm thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr Blackstone,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post. I am glad to hear that I managed to write a detailed review on the Skills On Wheels application.

      Once again, thank you for the commendation.

      Regards,
      Afifah

      Delete