Tuesday 9 April 2019

Final Critical Reflection

Reflection for the course:

This module is one of the most enjoyable modules I have taken. Not only have I improved my communication skills, I have also discovered myself in the process. Even though it was somewhat uncomfortable to share with a stranger, I am glad that we were all given the opportunity to do so in class. This has enabled me to step out of my comfort zone and test out my social skills. One of the activities I really liked was when Mr Blackstone had the entire class stand up and share something before we are allowed to take a seat again. It was an eye-opening experience to hear what others had to say. Also, it becomes more challenging as I try to think of something that no one else has shared yet.

A goal which I wanted to accomplish by the end of this module is to communicate better through listening more attentively to others and successfully bringing across my message. My friends have always told me that I tend to beat around the bush and that I tend to hear what they are saying instead of listening. Over the course of the module, I have picked up various tips and knowledge as to how one can communicate better. I am now more aware of my weaknesses in communication. Armed with new knowledge as to how I can improve myself, I believe that I am currently a better communicator than I once was. I especially loved the lesson where we learned about power poses. It is such a great boost to my current state of mind which works almost instantaneously.

Reflection on CPD showcase:

If I had to choose one group who I believed was a great success during the CPD presentation showcase, I would choose Happy Tree. I personally loved how the members of Happy Tree presented. They were very confident and presented clearly. Eye contact with the audience was maintained constantly and they had little dependence on the slides. I enjoyed Cheryl’s part of the presentation the most. She articulated well, planted herself in one location without much shifting on her feet, and moved her hands without being too distracting about it. She also spoke at a comfortable pace which allowed me to take in the information easily. I also noticed that the video was different. It was edited to be more like a proper training video, with less prioritization on humour. I believe that this version of the video could be effectively implemented in actual training of spa employees. I would also like to congratulate Happy Tree for winning second place in the competition.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Afifah, for your detailed final reflection. I really appreciate learning which areas of our module curriculum and activities appealed to you. It's aso good to see that you appreiated the strengths of Happy Tree's presentation. (Keep that power pose happening!)

    It's been a pleasure getting to know you this term. All the best as you continue your learning/life journey!

    ReplyDelete